Karen's Books

Sunday 12 October 2014

The Afterlands in Pictures


Or... if I were a location scout for an Ascension of the Whyte Movie!





1. New Zealand: (The Afterlands)




No wonder New Zealand was chosen to represent Tolkien's LOR World, it is ideal as a fantasy land. I would LOVE to travel there!



2. Iceland: (Rhodium)




Iceland epitomises my idea of Rhodium. The combination of ice, snow and warm water is so fantasy land. It is definitely on my list of places to see before I die... or ascend!


3. Ireland: (Ferrum)




This land with it's wonderful, humorous people, it's captivating scenery and music gifted me my land of Ferrum and the Ferrish folk.


4. Lanzarote: (Hydrargyrum)




Bleak, and barren this volcanic land is so much like my idea of Hydrargyrum... I did visit here a few years ago, so maybe it is where I got the vision of Hydrargyrum and its people from. Here you can find geysers and active volcanic fire holes... it is a volatile place... ideal for dragons!


5. Peru: Puerta de Hayu Marka (Tollen's Gate)




The ancient Peruvians carved this (Stargate) into the rock... Just like Tollen's gate (only Tollen's Gate is round of course!) BEWARE AFREET!


6. Rome: Vatican City (Aurum Oratory)




I based my idea of the Aurum Oratory on the Vatican in Rome. I loved it so much when I was there and was blown away by its grandeur and opulence (Aurum is very Roman).


7. Japan: Terunobu Fujimori’s Tetsu Teahouse (Ebony Forest Houses)




This is exactly how I imagined the Ebony Forest Houses. I could not have designed them better myself, I could just picture the Elder Witch standing in the doorway here!


8. USA: Minnehaha Minneapolis (Frozen Falls)




Rhodium's famous Frozen Falls do not figure in book one, but hang on for book two when they do make a big splash, so to speak.


9. Sweden: Ice Hotel (Enisfrae's Great Ice Temple)




I fell in love with the idea of having ice cities in Rhodium, and what do you know, Sweden have got there already!


10. USA: Florida Green Swamp (Ferndell Swamp)




This is exactly how I pictured the woods around the swamp in Ferndell... I can almost hear the Rougarou howling, and isn't there someone lurking in the trees just there?


How wonderful would it be to be a location scout for a movie? If Ascension of the Whyte - The Movie, ever gets made, I think I will volunteer to check these out, but if not then they are going on my places to visit list (yes I am that sad, I do have a places to visit list!)

Karen Wrighton


Excerpt from Ascension of the Whyte 


'Rose's response was swift, a perfectly executed block action accompanied by a clear command. The effect was instantaneous and dramatic, a blinding white energy stream flowed from her potens ring, transforming instantly into a rapidly moving wall of light which knocked Ash off his feet, lifted him up and carried him at great speed across the Arena. Goldin's hand shook as he retrieved his staff. He had never seen a novice perform a blocking spell with that much power.'



No comments:

Post a Comment