Karen's Books

Sunday 23 April 2017

Alice's Adventures Underground


Yesterday, I met some interesting people you may have heard of, the White Rabbit, the caterpillar, the Cheshire cat, the Mad Hatter, and of course the terrifyingly malevolent Queen of hearts. 

These are just some of the inhabitants of Alice's adventures underground, an interactive play set in a disused underground tunnel, beneath Waterloo Station in London. My daughter Anna bought me, her partner Dan,  sister Faye, and husband Kevin, tickets for Christmas. 

Yesterday we travelled down to London and the five of us descended into the bowels of the London Underground into Lewis Carroll's Wonderland. 

The settings were dressed in a wonderfully eclectic fashion, each room in the underground rabbit warren skillfully designed to illustrate a scene from Lewis Carroll's wonderful story.

Entering as a large group, we were guided through various tunnels until we reached a room where we were asked to make a decision - Drink Me? or Eat Me? 

Depending on your choice you are sorted into either red cards or black cards each taking their own very different routes around Wonderland. We were black suits, three of us spades, and two clubs, which meant that we also split up to travel slightly different routes around the underground maze. 
All the usual suspects were there,  we soon met the cook who baked the Queen's tarts and of course somebody had to steal them. 

We were introduced to the Cheshire cat and later attended the Mad Hatter's tea party which was truly amazing. Tweedledee and Tweedledum entertained us with acrobatics, twirling precariously over our heads, and finally, we entered the courtroom and find out who had stolen the Queen's tarts and to hear her utter those terrifying words OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

I could go on and tell you more, and believe me there is lots more to tell, but in doing that I would spoil some of the wonderful surprises you are treated to on your adventure underground. I cannot recommend this event enough, in fact, I would go back again tomorrow if I had the chance.

After the big finale, we were led back into the bar area where we played a game of Flamingo Croquet and had the opportunity to drink some more aptly named cocktails - all served in teacups.


When Anna gave me the ticket she was unaware that I had begun a new novel, which is based loosely on the story of Alice in Wonderland. Scarily serendipitous eh? 

However, it was wonderful research for me, as well as it being a great day out and a  truly inspired gift. 

I will be writing more about my book - RABBIT GIRL when I have completed the first draft. You can be certain it will include many ideas gained from my experience underground in London yesterday. I highly recommend this experience for all fans of interactive theatre, especially for those of you with a soft spot for Lewis Caroll's Alice in Wonderland. A truly magical afternoon - complete with a tea party (what more could you ask for?)
For more details on Alice's adventure underground follow the link here or click on the image below.

Karen



Related products:-






No comments:

Post a Comment